W3C A Few Days Out With the KDOH     HUNTS

Images thanks to Trevor Hughes


KDOH, Dallam, May 1968

KDOH at Dallam Hall


KDOH at Dallam Hall



KDOH at Dallam Hall


Kendal and District Otterhounds 1933/34 Season

The Kendal hounds opened their three weeks visit to their Yorkshire waters at Harewood Bridge on Saturday, when a large field was out.
The master, Sir Maurice Bromley-Wilson, had out a very strong pack of some seventeen couples. After a short time it appeared that an otter was away, but nothing could be made of him, and as it was likely that he had made downstream towards Carthick, it was decided not to spoil the water for next Saturday's meet at Collinham Bridge but to turn and draw upstream as usual. An augmented field followed the pack up to Harewood Dam, and just above the head at the top end hounds were keen at an almost impregnable place. This was hopeless from a digging point of view, and hounds drew on towards the good holding at Arthington Mill Dam, approaching which hounds opened on a very faint line. Later he was marked in a strong willow root and a veteran member viewed him away, a long slow hunt in the almost scentless waters following. Although the otters- at the end of another hour it was obvious that there were two afloat-were frequently viewed, they eventually defeated hounds in the big pond opposite Weeton Church. After a long swim downstream, and a hunt of over four hours.

8th July 1933

Quarry Escape in Poor Scenting Conditions

It is not surprising to find that scenting conditions during the first week of the annual visit of the Kendal and District Otter Hounds to Yorkshire waters have been very poor when the low and almost stagnant state of the rivers is considered. However a pleasing feature of the visit has been the plentiful supply off otters; hounds finding at least one on each day out.
A large field turned out to welcome the Master, Sir Maurice Bromley-Wilson at the opening meet of the visit at Harewood Bridge. On trying downstream, hounds hit off a strong drag, and in view of the subsequent condition of scent, it is possible that hounds put their otter afloat unobserved and he slipped away downstream without a vestige of scent. Drawings on upstream hounds were soon speaking again to a strong drag and marked their otter in the usual root below Arthington Mill. This otter was soon afloat after a little terrier work and a very sticky hunt followed. Scent was never anything other than poor and after two hours hounds were blown off.
From Ulleskelf hounds had a long blank draw up the recently cleared and bare banks up to Tadcaster. Here, however, things began to look brighter, and hounds hunted a good and steadily increasing drag to Newton Kyme. Hounds were blown off here so as not to encroach on the next day's water, and as hounds were crossing the river after the "going home" had been blown, they winded and put afloat at least one otter.


The next day out hounds met at Newton Kyme and carried a drag upstream. An otter was located and put afloat by St Helen's Well. But scent again proved to be all in favour of the otter, who chose his ground carefully and made the fullest possible use of the ample cover hereabouts. After working his way over a mile downstream he beat hounds when scent failed after four hours. On the following day hounds again met at Newton Kyme and drew upstream. This time the otter was located in a big and well-known root opposite the Boston Spa sewerage works. Hounds put him afloat unaided and a nice swim downstream followed. But after two and a half hours scent was again so bad that hounds were unable to keep him from resting continually under the willows above the railway bridge. After a halt for lunch he was found to have re-entered the Holt in which he had been found and whence he refused to move. Digging out or terrier work was out of the question and the day ended without further event at Thorpe Arch.

The sunshine and the reputation of the Collingham Bridge Waters brought out a really big crowd on Saturday. To the numerous members and their friends were added the visiting members of other packs and a host of casual visitors. After trying downstream, hounds drew up and were soon speaking to an excellent drag. After every burst of music it seemed the hounds would mark their otter in the next few yards, but it was not until well above Woodall Bridge that hounds did locate their otter, in a root below Cartick Islands. This otter was quickly afloat and made a short excursion downstream. After being viewed several times he turned upstream and made at full speed for the islands. Here he landed in full view of the field and galloped over them both and entered the water again with the hounds not far behind. Hounds had a long swim in the deep pool above and brought a line back to the islands again. There was little fresh water in the river and scent was a little better than on the previous days but not very much. Hounds never got in touch with their otter again, despite the long and persevering casts up and down stream to try to recover the line. Thus ended the first week of the Yorkshire visit and only the extremely adverse scenting conditions prevented hounds from adding to their tally.

“Rudder” 15th July 1933

The Kendal and District Otterhounds met at Lindale on Saturday last to hunt the Winster. Hounds drew up past Wilson House Bridge and on making Adams Garden their interest in the well-known and lengthy drain warranted trying the terriers. It was soon evident that the otter was at home, and digging operations were commenced. After 70 minutes work he was put afloat and hounds were laid on. Scent proved to be only moderate, but at the end of an hour it improved considerably and hounds were able to push him upstream. In the second hour they gave their otter little rest in the pool opposite Nicholls Wood and after an hour and three quarters Weaver gave him a severe shaking. A few minutes later hounds rolled over a fine dog otter of 24 lbs.

A fair sized field attended the meet at Levens Bridge on Monday although it was more than likely that hounds would work their otter in the impregnable Otter Caves. However, such did not prove to be the case, for when the Master put hounds in above the caves and drew down, hounds displayed little interest in them. Drawing downstream without incident, they tried hounds up the River Gilpin, and late in the day began to feather to a fresh drag. The Master decided it was too late in the day to find the otter in front of hounds however, and they were sent home.

5th August 1933

Kendal Otter Hounds Meet At Devils Bridge
Field of 300 People

For over 30 years the Kendal and District Otter hounds have met at Devil's Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale, on August Monday, and this year had a 'red letter day' by killing two otters. Every year the attendance at this meet seems to increase, and on Monday there were over 300 people present. Two otters were found, hunted and killed in the same stretch of the River Lune, near Holme House, one being a bitch otter of 15lbs and the other, a fine young dog weighing 19lbs. In the absence of Sir Maurice Bromley Wilson (Master) Charles Kitchener (kennel huntsman) carried the horn and Mr. Percy Sharp, Bingley was in charge of the field. As usual, Lady Henry Bentineck allowed hounds to hunt the stretches of the river running through the beautiful grounds of Underley Hall.
Mr. C. A. Wilson, Kidside, secretary of the pack writes: "In spite of the diatribes lately launched against otter hunting, such meets as that at Devils Bridge on Bank Holiday Monday proves the great popularity of the only summer form of hunting, which offers exercise, health and relaxation and takes its followers into the most beautiful parts of the country".

12th August 1933

wafWebsite manager

Unless otherwise stated otherwise all images and text on this site are copyright of the owner and may not be reproduced without permission.
 Site created 20.04.08 Cumbrian Lad 2008-2017. All rights reserved.   Email me